For the week ending 21 December 2002 / 16 Tevet 5763
- Why is kindness towards the dead called "chesed shel emet" kindness of truth?
- Give three reasons Yaakov didn't want to be buried in Egypt.
- How do you treat a "fox in his time" (i.e., a commoner who rules)?
- "When I was coming from Padan, Rachel died on me... I buried her there on the way to Efrat..." Why did Yaakov say all this to Yosef?
- Initially, why was Yaakov unable to bless Efraim and Menashe?
- What does pillalti mean?
- What does "Shechem" mean as used in this week's Parsha? (two answers)
- Which individual is called "the Emori?" Why? Give two reasons.
- What did Yaakov want to tell his sons but was unable to?
- What privileges did Reuven lose due to his rash actions?
- What congregation from Yaakov's offspring did Yaakov not want to be associated with?
- What did Yehuda do after he heard Yaakov rebuke Reuven, Shimon and Levi? Why?
- What does milk do to teeth?
- Why is Yissachar like a "strong-boned donkey?"
- With what resource did both Yaakov and Moshe bless Asher?
- In Yosef's blessing, Yaakov said, "They embittered him..." Who are "they"?
- Which descendants of Binyamin "will divide the spoils in the evening"?
- From whom did Yaakov buy his burial place?
- What oath did Yosef make to Pharaoh?
- Which two sons of Yaakov did not carry his coffin? Why not?
All references are to the verses and Rashis commentary, unless otherwise stated.