For the week ending 15 November 2003 / 20 Heshvan 5764
- Why did G-d appear to Avraham after the brit mila?
- Why was Avraham sitting at the entrance to his tent?
- What were the missions of the three angels?
- Why did Avraham enjoin the guests to wash the dust off their feet?
- Why did Avraham ask specifically Yishmael, and not someone else, to prepare food for the guests?
- Why did the angels ask Avraham where Sarah was?
- When G-d related Sarahs thoughts to Avraham, He did not relate them precisely. Why?
- What "cry" from Sodom came before G-d?
- How many angels went to Sodom?
- Why was Lot sitting at the gate of Sodom?
- Lot served the angels matza. Why?
- Why did Lot delay when he left Sodom?
- Why were Lot and his family not permitted to look back at Sodom?
- Lots wife looked back and became a pillar of salt. Why was she punished in this particular way?
- In what merit did G-d save Lot?
- Why did Avraham relocate after the destruction of Sodom?
- Why did Avimelech give gifts to Avraham?
- Why was Avraham told to listen to Sarah?
- Why did G-d listen to the prayer of Yishmael and not to that of Hagar?
- Who accompanied Avraham and Yitzchak to the akeidah (binding)?
All references are to the verses and Rashi's commentary, unless otherwise stated.
- 18:1 - Avraham was sick, so G-d came to "visit" him.
- 18:1 - He was looking for guests.
- 18:2 - To announce Yitzchak's birth, to heal Avraham and to destroy Sodom.
- 18:4 - He thought they were among those who worship the dust, and he didnt want any object of idolatry in his home.
- 18:7 - To train him in the performance of mitzvot.
- 18:9 - To call attention to Sarahs modesty, so as to endear her to her husband.
- 18:13 - For the sake of peace.
- 18:21 - The cry of a girl who was executed for giving food to the poor.
- 19:1 - Two; one to destroy the city and one to save Lot.
- 19:1 - He was a judge.
- 19:3 - It was Passover.
- 19:16 - He wanted to save his property.
- 19:17 - As they, too, deserved to be punished, it wasnt fitting for them to witness the destruction of Sodom.
- 19:26 - She was stingy, not wanting to give the guests salt.
- 19:29 - Lot had protected Avraham by concealing from the Egyptians the fact that Sarah was his wife.
- 20:1 - Because travel in the region ceased and Avraham could no longer find guests.
- 20:14 - So that Avraham would pray for him.
- 21:12 - Because she was greater in prophecy.
- 21:17 - Because the prayer of a sick person is more readily accepted than the prayer of others on his behalf.
- 22:3 - Yishmael and Eliezer.