For the week ending 15 February 2003 / 13 Adar I 5763
- What two precautions were taken to assure the purity of oil for the menorah?
- How was Aharon commanded to kindle the menorah?
- What does tamid mean in reference to the menorah?
- What does kehuna mean?
- Name the eight garments worn by the Kohen Gadol.
- To what does Rashi compare the ephod?
- In which order were the names of the Tribes inscribed on the ephod?
- The stones of the ephod bore the inscription of the names of the sons of Yaakov. Why?
- For what sins did the choshen mishpat atone?
- What are three meanings of the word mishpat?
- What was lacking in the bigdei kehuna in the second Beit Hamikdash?
- Which garment's fabric was woven of only one material?
- When the Kohen Gadol wore all his priestly garments, where on his head was the tefillin situated?
- What does the word tamid mean in reference to the tzitz? (two answers)
- Which garments were worn by a kohen hediot?
- During the inauguration of the kohanim, a bullock was brought as a sin offering. For what sin did this offering atone?
- Moshe was commanded to wash Aharon and his sons to prepare them to serve as kohanim (29:4). How were they washed?
- What was unique about the bull sin-offering brought during the inauguration of the kohanim?
- How did the oil used for the meal-offering differ from the oil used for the menorah?
- What does the crown on the mizbeach haketoret symbolize?
All references are to the verses and Rashis commentary, unless otherwise stated.
- 27:20 - The olives were pressed and not ground; and only the first drop was used.
- 27:20 - He was commanded to kindle it until the flame ascended by itself.
- 27:20 - It means that it should be kindled every night.
- 28:3 - Service.
- 28:4,36,42 - Choshen, ephod, me'il, ketonet, mitznefet, avnet, tzitz, and michnasayim.
- 28:6 - A woman's riding garment.
- 28:10 - In order of birth.
- 28:12 - So that G-d would see their names and recall their righteousness.
- 28:15 - For judicial errors.
- 28:15 -
- 28:30 - The Urim V'Tumim -- the "Shem Ha'meforash" placed in the folds of the choshen.
- 28:31 - The fabric of the me'il was made only of techelet.
- 28:37 - Between the tzitz and the mitznefet.
- 28:38 -
- 28:40,42 - Ketonet, avnet, migba'at, and michnasayim.
- 29:1 - The sin of the golden calf.
- 29:4 - They immersed in a mikveh.
- 29:14 - It is the only external sin-offering that was completely burned.
- 29:40 - Oil for the menorah comes only from beaten olives. Oil for meal-offerings may come from either beaten olives or from ground-up olives.
- 30:3 - The crown of kehuna.
(ii) The court's ruling
(iii) The court's punishment.
(ii)The Kohen Gadol must always be aware that he is wearing it.